Sunday, June 7, 2009

H.Upmann 1844 Cabinet Selección



Beautiful weather all week long, made it up into the low 90’s, but of course on the weekends is when it really counts and on Friday night it started to cloud up and cool down. We still had fun though. Friday night we stopped by the Tobacco Patch and said hello to the gang. I went into the store and picked out a Santa Damiana No.700 Cabinet cigar - I’m not reviewing this cigar right now, but I’ll just tell you that I didn’t like it at all. I didn’t even finish it, that’s how bad it was.
Saturday night we had a big dinner party at our house - I made “Feijoada Completa”. My version is somewhat Americanized, but personally I think it taste better than the authentic Brazilian recipe, much easier on your stomach too. Boy, I can eat a ton of this stuff!
So after dinner it was cigar time, I grabbed some glasses and a bottle of my favorite rum - Pyrat. Personally speaking, this is the best rum you can buy, don’t mix it with anything, just drink it neat. It’s so sweet and goes perfectly with any cigar. Trust me...
One of my friends brought a Sampler box of cigars along with him - he opened it up and asked everyone to choose something - I took the Montecristo White Label. I’ve smoked these before so I knew it would be perfect. I poured the rum, we made a quick toast, then we lit up our smokes. Jeez, what a perfect evening, even the weather cooperated!
Today I’m kind of dragging since I didn’t get to bed until 2 AM - maybe all the beer, wine and rum I drank last night might have something to do with it? Nah...
This afternoon the sun broke through the clouds and it warmed up enough to take a walk down to the Kirkland Marina. We go down there occasionally to sit in the sun and check out the boats. It’s a fun place to people watch as well. On a sunny day the place is packed!
OK, so I might as well tell you about the H.Upmann 1844 Cabinet Selección cigar that I smoked today. We were at the Marina when I lit it up. Right off I noticed that the draw wasn’t all that good., really had to work it. I let my wife try it and she said: “I don’t think there’s any smoke coming out?” So I put another punch in it. I could have given it a guillotine cut, but I don’t think it would have made any difference. The thing missing from this cigar was “taste” - it didn’t even come close to the Montecristo that I smoked last night. Surprisingly it burned very well and I bought it because the color of the wrapper, the label, the size and shape all looked like my kind of cigar. Looks can be deceiving though. I’m not going to say that this cigar was a total waste, I did finish it, but probably because I hate throwing away money. Cigars aren’t cheap, so sometimes you just have to put up with your bad choices. I’m not going to recommend this cigar.
My Rating: 3



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just smoked this cigar indoors in a cigar bar and enjoyed the first two thirds. Was just about to post how much I loved it but it just died on me prematurely. I wouldn't trust it outside or not right out of the box.

Kirkland Cigar Club said...

You're probably right - next time I'll try it "indoors".
Thanks for the comments!

Anonymous said...

That's how it was for me.. It was blandish. It honestly made me feel like I was smoking a cheap cigarette. I didn't get halfway until I quit smoking it.

Anonymous said...

I have smoked three and am about to light my fourth. I smoked all of them indoors. I use a straight cut and have never had a problem with the draw burn or staying lit. I enjoy them as a nice mild cigar. It wasn't much different than a Macanudo. I have smoked all three down to the nub and would five it an 8 out of 10.

Kirkland Cigar Club said...

OK, I'll make sure to give this one another try.