Monday, July 20, 2009

Unexpected Treat

Gorgeous weekend in Kirkland! Perfect weather for being outdoors and soaking up the sun. Temp was probably in the mid 80's with a nice breeze out of the north. I think we're getting our payback now for all the crappy weather days we had this past winter. Heck, just a few months ago there was snow on the ground!

Couple of events downtown - Kirkland Uncorked Festival(wine) and the Kirkland Classic Car show. I didn't have time to see the car show on Sunday, but I did wander down to the marina on Friday and Saturday and listened to some music, ate a little food and of course smoked a couple of cigars.



Friday night I walked over to the Tobacco Patch with my lovely wife, stopped and got a mocha at Starbucks first - got to have something sweet to drink. I brought along with me the last of my Perdomos; Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne.



I'm not going to go into great detail here, but one complaint about this cigar is the label - it's WAY too big. It takes up the whole bottom third of the cigar. Yes, it's a pretty label, but jeez, why so big? So the cigar itself was good, not superb, but good enough to keep me happy. Maybe a tad on the strong side towards the end, but a little sip of mocha usually smoothed everything over. With all the different blends of Perdomo cigars on the market, this isn't one of my favorites, so I doubt I'll buy these again.
My Rating: 7

Anyway, Saturday rolls along, we do our normal stuff, plus we went down to the wine festival and ran into some friends - always run into people we know downtown. Saturday night we buzz back down to the Patch for a quick cigar. It's a little cooler tonight since the northerly breeze has picked up a bit - Mama is cold, so I doubt we'll stay too long. I didn't bring any cigars with me, so I went into the store to grab something that I hadn't tried before, or at least not recently. I picked out a Por LarraƱaga. Wasn't all that expensive, big ring size and I think it had a Connecticut wrapper. This was a pretty fat cigar, so I gave it a punch instead of a straight cut. I lite it up and smoke it for a bit. "Hmmm? This has kind of a tough draw?" So I give it a straight cut to see if it improves any. Maybe a little, but I still had to work it to get any substantial amount of smoke out. What made matters worse is the wrapper started to peel off. YIKES! And it was coming off in a way where I couldn't hold it together with my fingers. WTF?
Anyway, I didn't really care for it...

So on to Sunday night - we went over to our friend's house for dinner. Another beautiful evening. These guys have a really nice place with a fantastic view of the lake, mountains and the Seattle skyline. Started out with appetizers and drinks, then a spectacular dinner and wine, and finally dessert. I was soooooo stuffed, but it was absolutely delicious. Anyway, to top off the evening my friend showed me his humidors - he has two. These aren't the little humidors like I have, these are actually pieces of furniture, the type of humidor that holds hundreds and hundreds of cigars. WOW! He told me to take anything I like. I'm not used to seeing that many cigars in one place - jeez, kind of makes you dizzy. Anyway, I see the jewel sitting on top - Montecristo No.2 Torpedo (Cuban). Oh man, you have got to be kidding me? So I grab my trophy and headed out to the deck. My friend brings out a bottle of Remy V.S.O.P. Cognac and a couple glasses. We lite up our cigars, sip our cognac and relax to the terrific lake and mountain views. The sun had gone down not too long ago, so there was that beautiful red glow above the Olympic Mountains. But anyway, what an evening! Plus, when we were out on the deck we watched the ISS (International Space Station) fly across the skyline. Now how cool is that! We finished our cigars and stepped inside for a late night coffee. This was probably one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had in ages, really a great time. Unfortunately I didn't get to bed until about 12:30AM. Oh no, again!




No comments: