Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cuban Stock Royal Selection



We're back to our typical Fall weather pattern - rain, with a chance of more rain. Currently it's drizzling, but that will change to showers, then to light rain, but downpours are likely. We've got a million different ways to say it's raining here. Sheesh!

Anyway, on a brighter note, while it wasn't raining, I picked up a few cigars out in Redmond. Yes, I know I should have bought them in Kirkland, but I was at the Mall with my lovely wife and it was just too darn convenient to buy them there. By the way, this cigar store has a pretty good following for their Sunday afternoon cigar get together out in front of their store. I might have to stop by some time if it's not raining too hard.

So what did I find? A Cuban Stock Royal Selection. Why this one? Well, it kind of sticks out from the rest. Now I know why cigar companies put multiple cigar bands on their products - they want their cigar to be noticed! And that's just what happened. The dark brown color, the multiple bands, the box press, no cellophane wrapper, all contributed to my decision. Very rarely do I buy a cigar that doesn't have a label on it, however, I've been thinking about experimenting... (blind taste test)

Last night after dinner, a BIG dinner, my spouse and I grabbed a drink and headed out to the deck to try out the cigar. Surprisingly it wasn't all that cold out and it wasn't raining!

This cigar has an unusual box press, not square, but rectangular, kind of feels like you're holding one of those big yellow carpenter pencils in your hand, it's got that kind of shape to it, just a little shorter. The wrapper is a rich dark chocolate brown, nice feel to it as well, not too firm, and of course it has the two labels that stick out like neon signs. I gave it a single hole punch and lit it up. Not bad - medium to maybe full bodied flavor, but nothing like the Cain Ligero that I smoked a few weeks back. I knew right off that I would be able to handle this cigar OK. Even my better half said it was good! Unfortunately I don't think that I'm going to add it to my list of favorite cigars. Don't get me wrong, it's a good cigar and the burn and draw are absolutely perfect, but it's just not as smooth as the cigars on my Favorites list - very, very close though.

My Rating: 7





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: