Sunday, October 25, 2009

Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Class



Pouring down rain outside, plus it's only about 46 degrees, you'd think it was late November already. Two weeks of this stuff since I've been back from Central America - I'm strongly considering going to Brazil for Christmas/New Year's, at least it's guaranteed to be warm there.

Friday there was an Oliva cigar event over at Rain City Cigars in Georgetown. Since I'm within walking distance and of course you already know that Oliva cigars are my favorite smoke, I couldn't resist checking it out. I arrived just after 3 PM and the shop was already full of Aficionados looking to score a good deal. The Oliva Rep had quite a nice selection displayed on the long counter. I noticed a price list taped to the window - 20% off boxes. OH BOY! I picked out a box of Oliva Serie G Churchill's - the price was right, plus my humidor is nearly empty. I bought the box and the Rep gave me 6 additional cigars, plus a nifty Oliva baseball hat, a guillotine cutter and some NUB matches. NEAT O!

So as I'm sitting here typing away in the garage, I'm smoking an Oliva Serie O cigar and drinking a nice hot cup coffee - good combo on this crappy weather night. Great cigar I might add, but in all actuality I wanted to tell you about the cigar that I smoked on Friday night down at the Tobacco Patch. I've seen this brand many times and I've heard that they're supposed to be pretty good, so I thought I'd try one for myself.



The Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Class cigar is not all that special, I'll tell you that right now. It started off a little harsh, but surprised me and really mellowed out about a third of the way into it. Good draw, not the best burn, but I then again I never had to re-light it. Now that I think of it, there was a very, very light drizzle on Friday night, that might have caused the uneven burn. Had this cigar not started off as harsh as it did, I would have loved it, but since I'm judging the total package I'm not real thrilled about it. I'm starting to think that I should just shut up and stick to Cameroon wrapped cigars? Nah, that wouldn't be any fun now, would it...

Off the top of my head I can't think of another cigar to compare this to, maybe a Rocky Patel Corojo? I can't remember... Old age sinking in?

My Rating: 7.9

PS - This Oliva Serie O that I'm smoking is EXCELLENT!



No comments: