Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hoyo de Monterrey















Remember how we had the freezing cold temperatures around Thanksgiving, well the other day, just a few days before Christmas, it was almost 60ยบ in Kirkland. Of course it was raining, no, I take that back, the sun did come out for a minute and that's when we went for our long walk. Crazy weather though...

So on Saturday night we stopped by the Tobacco Patch after dinner at the Cactus Restaurant. Cactus is still my favorite Tex-Mex restaurant on the Eastside, but there's another restaurant that is a close second - the Matador over in Redmond, both have GREAT food.

Anyway, I forgot to put a cigar in my coat pocket before we left, so I had to buy one this week. The Patch has a BIG selection to choose from, probably one of the bigger selections in the Puget Sound area. Finding a cigar to smoke is easy, finding a cigar that I want to smoke is what takes a little time. Sure I could pick a Zino or a Davidov, but I don't like spending that kind of money unless it's a VERY special occasion. So this week I found a Hoyo de Monterrey. The label looked a little different than the other Hoyo's that I've smoked, so I thought I'd grab this one - the price was right!

The Tobacco Patch is a gathering place for Aficionados, people from all over the globe congregate here. I think that's why we like coming down on the weekends, there's always an interesting conversation, plus it's always nice to see your friends.

So what did I think of the Hoyo de Monterrey? Meh... nothing special, but not worth throwing away; little harsh, draw was OK, nothing in the flavor department. You know I think I've smoked quite a few cigars that tasted just like this one, in fact I've smoked so many of them that I'm starting to think that they're all coming from the same factory, just a different label on them? Who knows, maybe I'm dreaming. Anyway, it's not the greatest cigar, but for the price I guess it was acceptable. Would I buy it again? Not a chance.
My Rating: 7

Well my friends, hopefully I'll fit one more review in before the year is up, but until then I'm wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas from all of us at the Kirkland Cigar Club!

2 comments:

10-7 Habaneros Aficionados Club said...

John, Excellent photo display. Very good layout with the cigar case and rum in the background. Definetly a "Cigar Moment" picture.

Have a happy new year my friend and great cigars....
Herman

Kirkland Cigar Club said...

Many thanks Herman - hope you and your lovely wife have a very Happy New Year as well! Look forward to getting together again soon!