Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hookah Time

When I go searching for cigars to review, I generally try to avoid buying anything that I've purchased before, but occasionally I'll space out and buy something that I shouldn't have, this time it was the Perdomo 2 Limited Edition 2008, which I reviewed back in July. Oh brother....

Anyway, what did I think of it this time? I still liked it. The box press, the dark wrapper, eye-catching label, good draw and medium to full bodied taste were all exceptionally good. Only complaint was the burn being a little uneven and I had to relight it twice. No big deal, I still enjoyed it. I did however notice that I got a little buzz this time. The last time I didn't notice because I was a bit tipsy. :)

Now onto something I've never tried before....

Saturday night we were at a friend's house for dinner - BIG dinner, ate and drank way too much, didn't think I could drink that much wine and not get drunk. Anyway, after dinner we moved to the living room for Turkish coffee and to smoke the hookah (shisha). I've got to tell you that I've seen these before, but I didn't have a clue as to how you're supposed to smoke them. It was truly a learning experience. We were smoking an apple type of tobacco, which was exceptionally smooth and the aroma was quite pleasing. My biggest problem at first was that I was trying to smoke it like a cigar, where you basically inhale the smoke just into your mouth. I noticed that everyone else was getting these big plumes of smoke when they exhaled and for me there was hardly anything. Hmmm? How did they do that? Well, they're smoking it like a cigarette - yes, they're taking a big draw into their lungs. I tried it - oh yeah, I'm smoking like a chimney now. Hah! The water in the base of the hookah cools the smoke down and mellows it out, so even though the smoke is going deep into your lungs, you don't feel like coughing it all out.

Would I do it again? Of course! I enjoyed it. I don't see myself going out and buying one of these, but if the occasion arises again some day, I definitely would not turn it down.

Very cool weekend indeed!

No comments: