Monday, June 21, 2010

J Fuego Origen Belicoso


I received an email on Friday from my good friend Herman inviting me to the Vertigo Club to attend a little tasting class that evening. Short notice, but when Sir Godfather invites you to an event, you sure as hell don't want to miss the opportunity! So I ask my activity coordinator (my wife) if we were busy and she said "let's go!" I shot off a reply email to Herman saying that we'd love to attend, but we'd be a bit late - the Tasting starts at 7 PM, and I usually don't even get home till that time. He said no problem.

Anyway, I got off work a hair early and blasted home, luckily there was no traffic eastbound and I arrived in record time. Now I've got to tell you that my lovely wife usually gets home from work no later than 4:30 PM, so technically speaking she has all the time in the world to get ready before I get home. As I walk into our bedroom and into the master bathroom, I notice that my bride had just got out of the shower and her hair was wet. "OH NO! Didn't I mention that it starts at 7 PM?" She gave me a big smile and said "I thought we could be a little late?" Too funny... guess she went to Bel-Square after work. :)

We arrived at the club a little before 8 PM - all the Mariner game/I-90 bridge traffic had cleared out, so it was a breeze coming into town. At the club the security doors were unlocked, so we just walked through the doors and up the stairs - lots of people here. I spotted our host and apologised for being late. He said no problem, they were just getting ready to start. Sweet!

First I'll tell you a bit about the event - it was actually a demonstration class and tasting for the "Perfect Martini" and the "Perfect Margarita". This ought to be fun since I've never had a Martini before, and all the Margaritas that I've had have come from a mix.

Club member Mark was our instructor and is an expert on the subject of mixology. He had spent a considerable amount of time before the class squeezing a boatload of limes and oranges - I'm surprised he doesn't have forearms like Popeye the sailor. :)

Anyway, first up was the Martini. I'm not going to go into details, but honestly I didn't realize that it was so simple to make, you just have to have the right ingredients. He gave a little history of the drink and all the different variations. It was pretty neat and really looked simple to make.

Next the perfect Margarita. Now this isn't necessarily something that I go out of my way to order, but since my lovely wife likes them, I've stolen sips from her glass many times. Mark told us a little history of the drink and instructed us on the finer points on how to make it perfect every time. Quite simple really - tequila, agave syrup, fresh lime and orange juice, lots of ice. Of course there's a sequence for preparing it, but basically if you use those ingredients you'll have a perfect Margarita every time.

Tasting Time
I tried the Martini first. This must be an acquired taste, because I really didn't care much for it. I drank it, but frankly I don't see how James Bond drinks these things.

Next, on to the Margarita. Oh brother, these are good! I can see how you could just keep downing these one after another - they're refreshing, but deadly. I drank two, that was my limit. ;)

The demonstration and tasting went really well and was loads of fun, I know that the group thoroughly enjoyed it. I know I sure did!

My thanks to my good friend Herman for inviting us, but also to the gang at the Vertigo Club for always making us feel special. You won't find a nicer place or better bunch of people to be around, trust me. If you're ever invited to the Club or invited to become a member, don't pass up the opportunity - it's truly a unique experience!

Photos from Friday Night

Now I want to tell you about a cigar that I purchased on the recommendation of John with J&J Cigars. (J&J Cigars, located on the first floor of the Vertigo building - the club is on the second floor)

J Fuego Origen Belicoso

I lit this cigar just before the Martini/Margarita class started. OMG, what a fantastic cigar. I had to do a double-take when I first started puffing away. What is this again? Origen? Holy cow - the flavor, the smoothness, its perfect draw, WOW! I love it! It has a beautiful dark oily wrapper and just the perfect firmness to it. When I had finished it, I wished that I had another one to lite up, it was that good. I will definitely buy this again. Thanks John for introducing me to this variety - I've never seen it before, but believe me they're on the top of my list now.

My Rating: 9.95

Side note: Sunday was Father's Day, of course the weather was absolutely terrible - cloudy, raining and colder now than it was in February. We went into Seattle to see my daughter's new office and to have breakfast downtown. Since it was so crappy downtown, we decided to change our venue to the Eastside. We came back to Kirkland, they've got a few good choices for breakfast: George's, Hector's or Trellis at the Heathman Hotel. Well, since Brazil was playing in the World Cup at 11:30AM, we had to find a restaurant that wasn't too busy AND one that had a big screen TV, so we could watch the game while we were eating. Hector's - the bar was full. George's - 45 minute wait, plus there was no guarantee that they would seat us where we could see the game. We decided on Trellis at the Heathman Hotel. This is a nice place, it puts those other places to shame. We sat at the bar, which is just before the main dining room. Let me tell you, everything was First Class - the service, the food, the ambiance, everything! And realistically speaking, I doubt it was much more expensive than the other two places. Plus, you'll never sit next to a bunch of screaming little kids. What a great breakfast, and thank God Brazil beat Ivory Coast.

PS - Thanks again Herman for the Padron cigar and the invite!

1 comment:

The Cigar Habanero Newsletter said...

John,
I said it before and here goes again, "you are a natural". Your article is inspiring and creative from the beggining to the end. It was my honor to have you and Sandra at the event. I enjoyed talkiing to you guys and sharing wonderful cigar moments. BTW, the "Origen" cigar from J. Fuego is a a great smoke.

You and Sandra take care and talk to you soon.

"Sir Godfather"