Wednesday, September 8, 2010

H Upmann 1844 Sun Grown

Last night after a BIG dinner and after working all day tiling our master bathroom, my lovely wife and I decided to take a cigar break out on the back deck. I grabbed a bottle of brandy, some glasses, a small amount of chocolates, plus a cigar that I've been meaning to try. We headed outside, got situated, and I fired up the fireplace. It had actually rained all day, but now it looked safe enough to sit out here, I could see a few stars between the clouds overhead.
So the cigar that I picked for tonight was given to me by my local tobacconist. It was a H Upmann 1844 Sun Grown. Short little cigar, but a BIG ring size. I gave it a guillotine cut and lit it up. At first the draw was real airy, I thought it might have a hole or rip in the wrapper someplace, but after a minute or so everything was absolutely perfect. I loved it! I don't know if I was just tired and needed to sit back and relax, but I thought this was one of the best cigars I've smoked in ages. Perfect draw (after the first couple of minutes), superior taste, exceptionally smooth, medium bodied, and billows of smoke. Jeez, this cigar was made for me. I know it was good, because when I finished it, I lit up an Oliva. No comparison - the Sun Grown was far better in my opinion. Oh no! Did I say that out-loud? Something better than Oliva? What's this world coming to!
I'm going to buy a couple more of these Upmanns just to see if it wasn't a fluke or something. It was that good.
My Rating: 9.4

Oh and yes, it started raining while we were outside. I think I was just about done with the Upmann, but the fire still had a long way to go. We basically moved our chairs under the house awning and I scooted the fireplace as close to the house as possible. We stayed dry and only a small portion of the table top on the side of the fire pit had any water on it. Cool! A new place to smoke cigars on crappy weather days.

Side Note:
So you remember last week when I mentioned that there's a new coffee shop in town? Rococo? Well anyway, my beautiful wife and I decided to try it out. UGH! I know they just opened and I should be more patient, but JEEZ, doesn't anyone care about customer service anymore!!!?? I'm not going to tell you all the boring details, but needless to say we won't be going back for a while, especially with the French Bakery only a block away. Heck, St. James is near by as well, so is Starbuck, Zoka and Caffe Ladro, etc., etc...


Coffee anyone?

No comments: