Wednesday, September 1, 2010

VSOP Vintage Reserve

Busy week, but another good week for cigars. :)

Started on Thursday night after dinner at John Howie Steakhouse. By the way, if you're ever at the Bravern in Bellevue, I would NOT recommend dinner at this steakhouse - the soups were good, but everything else was lacking.

Anyway, we stopped by the Tobacco Patch afterwards and had a cigar with the gang. I would have smoked one of my Oliva figurados, but I forgot to bring one with me from home, and now I'm too lazy to drive back to the house, so I just picked something out at the shop. I chose a Cabaiguan. Nice cigar - I've smoked them a few times and I've never been disappointed - unlike my dinner. If you like a good smooth medium bodied cigar, this is right up your alley.

Friday night, weather starting to get a little cooler here. I'm hoping that it's not a sign of things to come - this is supposed to be the hottest part of the year. Oh well. So Friday night we lite up again down at the Patch. Good crowd on Friday nights - fun to people watch. You see there are a bunch of bars nearby and it seems like everyone in town has to pass in front of the Patch. I brought along an Oliva Serie G Figurado. I'm making a pretty good dent in the box that I bought a few weeks back. Nothing like a Cameroon wrapper...

Saturday afternoon we went up to my cousin's house for a BIG BBQ. It looked like it was going to rain first thing in the morning, but in the afternoon it turned out to be a gorgeous clear blue sky day, and kind of warm as well, couldn't have picked a better day for a barbecue. Anyway, this was one of those rare parties where the majority of people smoked, or even better, smoked cigars. I just happened to bring along a couple of Oliva's. Man, what a great party! Enough food and drink to supply an army. It was a great time for all!

So while I was at my cousin's house, her husband has an oversize 200 count cigar humidor sitting in his living room and it's packed full with just about every brand there is. Since I gave one of my Oliva's away to a guest, I needed something else to smoke. No problem, our host pointed me to the humidor. I chose a VSOP Vintage Reserve. I was going to take one of his Montecristo No.2 (Cuba), but I know this brand pretty well.

From what I remember of this torpedo, it was a nice smoke - medium bodied, smooth taste, good draw, maybe just a little hot at the very end, but surprisingly good. I don't know how much these cost, but I'd definitely buy one. The only problem is that I've never actually seen one in any of the cigar stores that I frequent. I'll look around a bit and get back to you.
My Rating: 8

My lovely wife bought me a Padron 1964 Anniversary cigar last week - it's on my menu for this weekend!

Side note: Did anyone notice that they're opening yet another coffee shop in downtown Kirkland? Rococo Coffee & Tea Company. It's just down from Cactus Restaurant. This will be very interesting to see if yet another coffee establishment can make it downtown. The problem is that within literally feet of each other, you have Starbucks, Zoka and Caffe Ladro, that's not counting all the restaurants and bars that also serve the same coffee drinks.
Amazing, simple amazing...

No comments: