Monday, August 8, 2011

Seafair in Seattle

Did you see the Blue Angels buzzin around for Seafair? OMG! Very impressive! I think more people go to Seafair to watch the Blue Angels, than the Hydroplanes.


Big cigar weekend...

Carlos Toraño Signature Collection Torpedo 6 x 52


Wrapper: Sun Grown Brazilian Maduro
Binder: Broadleaf
Filler: Dominican Cubano Ligero/Nicaraguan Habano Ligero

The Signature Collection from Toraño has everything going for it - beautiful dark wrapper, great shape/size, perfect firmness, eye-catching label and a good price.

I've come to the conclusion though that I'm not a big fan of cigars that have the Ligero leaf. I mean I'll smoke them, but for my weenie taste I think they're a tad bold. I smoked this Toraño the other night and thought it was just outside, not by much, my comfort zone. The draw and burn were right on the money, and it delivered in the smoke department, but I just couldn't quite warm up to the Ligero flavor. Don't get me wrong, I smoked the whole thing down to the nub. :)

I think if I had paired it with a dark cup of coffee, or maybe an IPA beer, I might have enjoyed it more. Oh well, next time.

If you smoke a lot of cigars, I have a feeling that you'll really like this one. Definitely for the "big-boys."

My Rating: 7+

Few other cigars over the weekend


HC Series Connecticut Shade
Toro 6.5 x 52

Smoked this one while watching the Blue Angels down on the waterfront. I wasn't real impressed with it - too mild. Nice looking cigar though, had a perfect burn, even with the strong breeze that was coming off the lake. The problem in my opinion, was that it really lacked in taste. I've smoked plenty of mild cigars that I thought were pretty good, but this one just didn't cut it for me. So sad...

Hoyo de Monterrey Reposado en Cedros Marco
Figurado 6 1/4 x 49

Very nice cigar - cedar worked well. Medium to maybe a full-bodied cigar, good draw, neat shape, plenty of smoke. I liked it! No doubt about it, I'll buy one of these again.

Casa Magna Colorado
Torpedo 6 1/2 x 52

OK, so this was probably my favorite cigar over the weekend - smoked it last night after dinner. Beautiful evening too, temp around 72º, light breeze.

Anyway, I've smoked these quite a few times before and I've got to tell you that these still are one of my favorites. Delicious medium-body cigar, really nice in just about every class. I paired the cigar with a nice cold bottle of Red Hook ESB. Great combo!

My only little complaint was that it got too hot towards the end. Excellent smoke though!


No comments: