Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Seattle Cigar Expo this Saturday!


Well, the day that you've all been waiting for is just about here. Saturday is the Seattle Cigar Expo over at the Seattle Center.

Got your tickets yet? Don't worry, you can still buy them online or even at the door. I got mine awhile back so I'm all set. (I'm generally an expert at procrastinating)

Anyway, I'm planning on taking my camera along, so if you see some nut taking all kinds of pictures, don't be offended, it's just me...

So last Wednesday a very good friend of mine invited me over to the Vertigo Club for a little get together with some friends. I generally don't smoke during the week, but I definitely will make an exception for the Vertigo Club. I don't care what day of the week it is, if I'm invited, I'm going! Love that place...

Few highlights from the evening:

Master by Carlos Toraño BFC 6 x 60
Wrapper: Habano from Ecuador
Binder: Esteli, Nicaragua
Filler: Esteli & Jalapa, Nicaragua
 
GREAT cigar. This is one of my favorites - absolutely love the Master series. Rich flavor, perfect draw/burn, medium to full-bodied taste - delicious.
I heard that BFC stands for Big Fricking Cigar, and that's a fact - the 60 ring gauge is gigantic!
Surprisingly these are somewhat difficult to find in the local stores. What's up with that??

San Lotano Habano by A J Fernandez,  Robusto 5.5 x 54
Wrapper: Brazilian Habano
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua / Honduras /DR


 
This was given to me by Clay Roberts, he's with A.J. Fernandez Cigars - super nice guy, really knows the business. The San Lotano turned out to be another fantastic smoke. Smooth, medium to full-bodied, rich flavor, great draw, nice feel to it, just loved it! Problem is finding them. I think JnJ is the only place around that has any?


Little tidbit that I discovered while I was down at the Vertigo was that in addition to enjoying a glass of rum or single malt scotch with a fine cigar, I've found that a good Bourbon works well too. Well maybe not any Bourbon, but Bulleit Bourbon. You see, I grew up around Jim Beam, so I just assumed that all Bourbons tasted alike. WRONG-O! There's no comparison between Beam and Bulleit.

Yes, I'll be at the liquor store this weekend purchasing a bottle for my own collection. Good stuff!

One other noteworthy cigar that I smoked over the weekend was the J Fuego Originals series - I was over at Rain City last week and I picked up a 5-pack of the Sangre de Toro Originals. I was going to buy the original Originals, but the gal that works there kind of talked me into trying the new stuff. She said the Sangre were sweeter? OK, I'll bite...

What did I think? Ugly little cigars, but they smoked exceptionally well. I liked 'em! Talk about a ton of smoke. Holy Cow, these are smoke-bombs! Delicious though.



I thought because of their size that they'd only last for a half hour or so, but I clocked it the other day and it took me an hour to finish. Nice, very nice cigar! Definitely one of my favorite now.

Next on my To-smoke list:  
Carlos Toraño Loyal 


My sincere thanks to everybody over at the Vertigo Club - you guys are the best, and I truly mean that from the heart! Thank-you!

Dan - don't forget what we talked about, OK?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Did you get your hands on a Loyal? Does John have them there at the shop? I loved that cigar. I was fortunate to get to try it right after the IPCPR. I loved it, I want a box.

Sounds like you had some great cigars and a great time. I will see you this weekend.

Kirkland Cigar Club said...

Great cigars indeed!

Looking forward to the Loyal, which was given to me, so I'm not sure if John has them in his shop or not? Probably does...

See you Saturday Mr.VIP!

:)